Assessment issues that may impact your RTO audit (Part 2)
This is Part 2 continuing from the previous newsletter. As discussed in Part 1 of this article, there are a number of assessment-related issues that may affect your audit outcome. You should ensure your assessment resources, therefore, meet the following criteria:
- The context and conditions of assessment. For example, an assessment tool could be developed to cater for a particular language, literacy and numeracy requirements, the learner’s workplace experience or other learner needs that require reasonable adjustment.
- The context of the assessment may also take into account assessments already completed, and the competencies demonstrated in these assessments. By looking at the context, you can consider the conditions under which evidence for assessment must be gathered.
- All activities are conducted adequately using the required:
- equipment or material requirements
- physical conditions
- relationships with team members and supervisors
- relationships with clients/customers
- timeframes for completion.
- Assessment methods or tasks are suitable to the requirements of the units of competency and students are assessed on the tasks and activities according to the requirements of the training package.
- The language used is simple English
- The evidence required to make a decision of competency is clearly outlined
- The types of activities and tasks student need to perform are clearly outlined
- The level of performance required for each assessment activity is clearly outlined
- Adequate exposure to workplace conditions, including appropriate simulated environments
- Sufficient knowledge-based assessment tasks and activities such as written questions and case studies etc.
- Sufficient practical based assessment tasks and activities such as projects, role plays, workplace tasks and observations etc.
- Assessment resources are error-free and free from any grammar, copyright or plagiarism issues
It is a wise decision to get your training and assessment strategies and resources validated by independent industry experts to get honest feedback and an unbiased opinion.